[CMake] Re: CMake script vs. Lua

Mike Jackson imikejackson at gmail.com
Fri Dec 14 15:32:35 EST 2007

On Dec 14, 2007, at 3:19 PM, Brandon Van Every wrote:

>>> Ken showed proof of concept for Lua.  "It's too hard" would be a
>>> completely silly argument at this point.
>>
>> And for what I saw, its implementation could be better (no unpack,
>> etc...).
>
> Yeah.  In fact I saw his response of "well, we probably won't /
> shouldn't do this, even though I've proven that we can do this" as
> completely silly.  I compared it to arguing with myself about whether
> I could adopt a dog.  "Oh I live in a tiny apartment."  It was a
> perceived barrier only.

Don't forget that "time" is a real barrier, not a perceived one. How
long would you wait for the lua implementation. What other features
would you be willing to give up in order to have lua in x number of
months? Remember Kitware has to pay their employees. They get money
from contracts to work on cmake. Those contracts may dictate what
Kitware can work on within cmake and still be able to bill that work
to the contract. If you know someone that has enough free time to
write/test a full blown lua implementation that is willing to be paid
nothing, then bring them to the game...

Maybe you should start a new project and call it "LMake".. ;-)

Disclaimer: I do NOT work for and do NOT speak for Kitware. I am
simply making some educated guesses based on public information.
--
Mike Jackson   Senior Research Engineer