[CMake] Re: Ignoring command return code in add_custom_command

Bill Hoffman bill.hoffman at kitware.com
Fri Dec 14 12:21:20 EST 2007

Rodolfo Schulz de Lima wrote:

> I see... after some thought I understood that the user would
> (rightfully) expect that call_command would be executed in build time.
> What if it he executes something that the generator cannot handle (open
> a socket and send the return value, for example)? This cannot be done,
> and indeed has nothing to do with lua vs. cmake.

That said, an automatic way of running a cmake script at build time as
part of a custom_command might be a good feature.

Something like this:

set(SCRIPT "
execute_process(COMMAND whatever)
")
add_custom_command(OUTPUT text.cpp COMMAND_SCRIPT ${SCRIPT})

> While talking about cmake vs. lua... (don't get upset :) ), what is the
> current status of this feud?

I am thinking the lua stuff is pretty much dead at this point (don't get
upset :) ), if you see Ken's post here:

http://www.cmake.org/pipermail/cmake/2007-November/017986.html

Ken did add functions to cmake to help with the scope issues. :)

-Bill