[CMake] Compilation speed with CMake/NMake combination, making it faster?

Daniel daniel at connect2.com
Fri Dec 14 10:22:35 EST 2007

Josef Karthauser wrote:
> So we’ve got a fairly sizable amount of code described in the CMake
> framework now, about 10 or so libraries, and 4 projects which consume
> them.  We’re now hitting upon compilation time as an issue, as it takes
> much longer than our previous framework did.  I’m wondering what can be
> done to speed it up.
>
> My thoughts on the matter are:
>
> ·         We’re using an NMake build tree, is NMake particularly slow?
> Do any of the other makes work more efficiently?
>
> ·         Does all the percentage complete processing add a significant
> overhead to the build time?
>
> ·         It seems to take CMake/NMake a long time to determine that no
> work needs to be done.  It can take 20 seconds or longer for all the
> dependency targets to be checked, no work to be done, and only then will
> the project start compiling.
>
> Does anyone have any thoughts on this matter?  I’d appreciate any ideas
> on how to speed this up.

Don't forget about the fast targets, I make heavy use of them. If you have
multiple targets you can build a single target foo without checking dependencies
by typing

nmake foo/fast

In cmd you might need to use a backslash.  I have my project split to include
several static libs, so I can build only the section that I am working on.
--
Daniel