[CMake] Generating makefile from Visual Studio Project (Migrating to Eclipse)

Olumide 50295 at web.de
Thu Dec 6 20:57:40 EST 2007

Bill Hoffman wrote:
>> Tried extensions .c .C .c++ .cc .cpp .cxx .m .M .mm .h .hh .h++ .hm
>> .hpp .hxx .in .txx
>> -- Configuring done
>>
> That is success. You would of course need to create a foo.cxx file to be
> compiled.  But the compiler detection worked fine.  I would recommend
> starting from an empty build tree.

I've run cmake on my project's CMakeLists.txt file (generated from my
visual studio project by Jesper's script) as follows:

C:\Work\Demo\TestTexturePlugin\CMakeLists.txt
C:\Program Files\Common Files\System\MAPI\1033>cmake -G"NMake Makefiles"
C:\Work\Demo\TestTexturePlugin\CMakeLists.txt

Result:
-- Check for CL compiler version
-- Check for CL compiler version - 1310
-- Check if this is a free VC compiler
-- Check if this is a free VC compiler - no
-- Check CL platform
-- Check CL platform - 32 bit
-- Check for working C compiler: C:/Program Files/Microsoft Visual
Studio .NET 2003/Vc7/bin/cl.exe
-- Check for working C compiler: C:/Program Files/Microsoft Visual
Studio .NET 2003/Vc7/bin/cl.exe -- works
-- Check size of void*
-- Check size of void* - done
-- Check for working CXX compiler: C:/Program Files/Microsoft Visual
Studio .NET 2003/Vc7/bin/cl.exe
-- Check for working CXX compiler: C:/Program Files/Microsoft Visual
Studio .NET 2003/Vc7/bin/cl.exe -- works
-- Configuring done
-- Generating done
-- Build files have been written to: C:/Work/Demo/TestTexturePlugin

The directory C:\Work\Demo\TestTexturePlugin\CMakeFiles now contains,
among other files, Makefile2, which I assume is the NMake Makefile, and
Makefile.cmake. Where can I find more information about these files. I'm
not sure which files I need to perform the migration to eclipse.

Oddly, running cmake on my project directory fails i.e.:
C:\Program Files\Common Files\System\MAPI\1033>cmake -G"NMake Makefiles"
C:\Work\Demo\TestTexturePlugin

produces the familiar list of errors.

- Olumide

PS: my understanding of what a build tree is; from:
http://ecos.sourceware.org/docs-2.0/user-guide/build-tree.html
Build tree: the directory hierarchy in which all generated files are
placed ...