[CMake] Error for ifort/nmake

Alan W. Irwin irwin at beluga.phys.uvic.ca
Tue Dec 4 11:32:18 EST 2007

On 2007-12-04 12:27-0000 Alin M Elena wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I try to compile a simple fortran project with cmake, intel fortran compiler
> and nmake.
>
> However I get the following error
>
> nmake
> Scanning dependencies of target print
> [ 25%] Building Fortran object CMakeFiles/print.dir/source/constants.obj
> 'touch' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
> operable program or batch file.
> NMAKE : fatal error U1077: 'touch' : return code '0x1'
> Stop.
> NMAKE : fatal error U1077: '"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio
> 8\VC\BIN\nmake.exe"' : return code '0x2'
> Stop.
> NMAKE : fatal error U1077: '"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio
> 8\VC\BIN\nmake.exe"' : return code '0x2'
> Stop.
> NMAKE : fatal error U1077: '"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio
> 8\VC\BIN\nmake.exe"' : return code '0x2'
> Stop.
>
> Here is the CMakeLists.txt
> PROJECT(Hello Fortran)
>
> ##########################
> ###source files
>
> set(target_name hell)
> set(src_dir source)
> ##########################
>
> set(LIBRARY_OUTPUT_PATH ${PROJECT_BINARY_DIR}/lib)
> set(EXECUTABLE_OUTPUT_PATH ${PROJECT_BINARY_DIR}/bin)
>
> add_library(print
> ${src_dir}/constants.f90
> ${src_dir}/print.f90
> )
>
> add_executable(${target_name}
> ${src_dir}/constants.f90
> ${src_dir}/test.f90
> )
>
> ## sets the linking
> link_directories (${LIBRARY_OUTPUT_PATH})
> target_link_libraries(${target_name} print)
>
> you can get all files for the project from here.
> http://titus.phy.qub.ac.uk/group/Alin/hello.rar
>
> Any thoughts?

First, I have changed the subject line and got rid of the complete digest....

Second, I suggest you try some variations to help figure this out.  For
example, does your simple fortran project work for nmake and a different
fortran compiler?  Does your simple fortran project work for ifort and
a non-nmake generator? Does an equivalent C project work for nmake?

Third, the behaviour of ifort on windows is controlled by
$prefix/share/cmake-2.4/Modules/Platform/Windows-ifort.cmake .  You may want
to play with that file (and compare it with the equivalent Platform file
used in the above variations) to see what is causing the nmake problem.

Sorry these thoughts are pretty general, but they are the best help I can
give you since I don't have access to windows or nmake.

Good luck!

Alan
Alan W. Irwin

(lbproject.sf.net).