[CMake] Setting default install prefix?

Lee Butler iraytrace at mac.com
Sat Aug 11 12:30:50 EDT 2007

Is there a way to override CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX in a multi-level
CMake project?  Since my package has a long history of being
installed in a location other than /usr/local, I really want to have
the default match previous practice.

For example, I have a source tree that looks like this:

root_dir
     src
     lib

In the root_dir/CMakeLists.txt file I set:

SET(CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX "/usr/thispkg" CACHE PATH "Prefix prepended
to install directories")

However this default setting does not show up when running ccmake or
cmake.

Changing this to:

SET(CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX "/usr/thispkg")

causes the value to show up in the root cmake_install.cmake file but
nowhere else.

What is the appropriate way of doing this?

Lee Butler