[CMake] Re: POSIX regex support

Brandon Van Every bvanevery at gmail.com
Fri Aug 10 16:29:34 EDT 2007

On 8/10/07, Alexander Neundorf <a.neundorf-work at gmx.net> wrote:
> On Friday 10 August 2007 15:55, Brandon Van Every wrote:
> > Totally horrible brain dead idea.  If it weren't for your other
> > suggestions, I'd say you should be shot.
> > You are a sick, depraved individual.
>
> Brandon, I think this went to far, maybe even if there would have been
> smileys.
> Please stay kind when replying to posts.

I don't trust smileys, people may not notice them.  The above was
clearly a joke, except for the shooting part.

Let me state the matter seriously.  Anyone who thinks that more
control characters should be inserted into a regex stream, that has no
wide based standard for why the control character is being so
inserted, is making a very poor design decision.  It is very difficult
to keep the standard control characters straight as is, not to mention
the CMake quirk of double \\ escapes due to argument processing.
Please no more regex pain than everyone already has.  I can just see
the collective scream from all the regex gurus moving to CMake, when
things that parsed fine in their old ways of doing things explode
because now they have to deal with ~ as a special case.

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every