[CMake] Re: deprecated static libraries on Mac

Bill Hoffman bill.hoffman at kitware.com
Fri Aug 10 13:16:43 EDT 2007

Brandon Van Every wrote:
> On 8/10/07, James Bigler <bigler at cs.utah.edu> wrote:
>
>>> both supported, I build both.  On the Mac, where static libraries are
>>> officially depreciated, I don't.  There's an OPTION to build them if
>>> you really really want to scrounge around with that.  And if you want
>>>
>> I haven't heard this, albeit I don't do much Mac development.  Do you have any
>> references on this.  A project I'm working on wants to build static libraries to
>> help in the distribution: "Here's your binary, now RUN!".
>>

> http://developer.apple.com/qa/qa2001/qa1118.html

I am not sure this means static libraries are deprecated.   It just
means that completely static
executables are not recommended.   They want you to use the dynamic run
time libraries.
This is very similar to the MS compiler.   However, your application can
use lots of static
libraries that contain your code.

-Bill