[CMake] Fortran support bugs?

Alan W. Irwin irwin at beluga.phys.uvic.ca
Thu Aug 9 11:22:40 EDT 2007

On 2007-08-09 13:44+0200 yardbird wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I would like to use CMake as a build system for a Fortran project of my
> research group.
>
> [...]I think CMake is confused when it finds the "USE" keyword somewhere in Fortran
> comments, and it is tricked into thinking that the keyword is specifying some
> dependency even if it is placed inside a comment. Indeed, by erasing all
> comments in source files, usually the build is performed successfully.
>
> Does this make any sense?

Yes. That is one of the Fortran bugs, but there are more, see reference below.

> I would really like to use CMake for these Fortran
> projects, since I'm already using it heavily in my C/C++ projects and I love
> it.

I use CMake for a couple of Fortran projects, but Fortran is not used by the
CMake developers so it tends to be only weakly supported.  Thus, there are a
number of long-standing CMake fortran bugs you have to work around.  I
summarized those bugs (and the required workarounds) at
http://www.cmake.org/pipermail/cmake/2006-November/012052.html.  The
workarounds are pretty ugly (for example, change all occurrences of " use "
to "_use_" in your comment strings), but I do like CMake so I am willing
to put up with the Fortran workarounds for now, although it would be great
to get these CMake/Fortran bugs fixed instead.

Note, to see the full account of these bugs, you will have to create a new
bug tracker account, login to the new CMake bug tracker system and
explicitly jump to bugs 3109, 3144, or 3984.

Which brings up a general question to those in charge of the bug tracking
system: As a convenience to users can you make the bug tracker information
available in a read-only way which does not involve logging in?  I am well
aware you have had to recently fight off a spam attack, but if Mantis
is truly a secure system, it should be able to supply read-only information
about bugs without requiring an account, logging in, etc.

Alan
Alan W. Irwin

(lbproject.sf.net).