[CMake] Why prefer ADD_SUBDIRECTORY to SUBDIRS ?

Philip Lowman philip at yhbt.com
Thu Aug 9 13:55:26 EDT 2007

Brandon Van Every wrote:
> Because aside from any technical reason, one day Kitware will work up
> the chutzpah to officially depreciate legacy commands.  If you're
> writing new code, there's no point in using the old commands.

It looks like they've deprecated a number of old commands in the 2.4
documentation.  I was surprised to find that SUBDIRS hasn't been
deprecated yet.  It does contain a strong suggestion to use
ADD_SUBDIRECTORY, however.

--
Philip Lowman
Simulation Development Engineer, Modeling and Simulation Technology