[CMake] Fortran support bugs?

yardbird yardbird at nerdshack.com
Thu Aug 9 07:44:13 EDT 2007

Hello,

I would like to use CMake as a build system for a Fortran project of my
research group.

The problems I'm experiencing are quite various, but I think I've tracked them
down to a single cause. In the specific case, which I'm attaching as a
compressed archive, CMake runs fine, but when launching make it hangs at the
dependency scanning phase. With other Fortran projects, CMake detects bogus
dependencies, which do not exist and have strange names. These strange names
helped me to identify the probable cause of the bug, since such names are
taken from comments in the source code: they consist of portion of phrases,
name, adjectives, etc.

I think CMake is confused when it finds the "USE" keyword somewhere in Fortran
comments, and it is tricked into thinking that the keyword is specifying some
dependency even if it is placed inside a comment. Indeed, by erasing all
comments in source files, usually the build is performed successfully.

Does this make any sense? I would really like to use CMake for these Fortran
projects, since I'm already using it heavily in my C/C++ projects and I love
it.

Thanks and best regards,

  Francesco.