[CMake] Running NMake from a Cygwin Bash shell... is it possible?

Miguel A. Figueroa-Villanueva miguelf at ieee.org
Mon Aug 6 14:09:12 EDT 2007

On 8/6/07, Mathieu Malaterre wrote:
> Hi Miguel,
>
>   I do that all the time. You only need to modify PATH to work on
> cyginw (ie. replace the ; with :). You should NOT change LIB or
> INCLUDE, those variable are read by cl/link thus should contains ; as
> separators

This was the source of it all. You need PATH the way cygwin requires
(/cygdrive/c instead c: and colon separated list). For example,

cygVSINSTALLDIR="/c/Program Files/Microsoft Visual Studio 8"
export PATH="${cygVSINSTALLDIR}/Common7/Tools:<snip>:${PATH}"

But the LIB, LIBPATH and INCLUDE vars should maintain c: and semicolon
separated arguments, like in:

VCINSTALLDIR="c:/Program Files/Microsoft Visual Studio 8/VC"
export LIB="${VCINSTALLDIR}/ATLMFC/LIB;${VCINSTALLDIR}/lib;<snip>"

Thanks to Mathieu and Gonzalo for helping with this.

BTW, the mingw cmake does generate "NMake Makefiles" the cygwin cmake
doesn't. I successfully generated the "NMake Makefiles" with the mingw
cmake and built with nmake from the cygwin shell.

I think this is something worth noting in the Wiki... should I open a
FAQ entry or put it in the generator specific page?

--Miguel