[CMake] RPM for CPack?

Christian Convey christian.convey at gmail.com
Fri Aug 3 09:57:33 EDT 2007

On 8/3/07, Eric Noulard <eric.noulard at gmail.com> wrote:
> > So I've been trying to accomplish
> > packaging with as few changes to his own CMakeLists.txt files as
> > possible.
>
> Yes I understand, nonetheless CPack IS a cross platform tools
> just as CMake is.
>
> I wrote  UseRPMTools such as it won't do anything (besides some checks)
> if it is used on non-RPM aware build host.
> If it not the case file me a bug :))
>
> More precisely:
> INCLUDE(CPack)
> INCLUDE(UseRPMTools)
>
> will ALWAYS succeed on any platform (even Windows)

Yeah, I hear you.  The issue is that the project lead is not so
excited about producing .deb and .rpm packages as to be willing to
bend much in this area.

Even injecting something like INCLUDE(UseRPMTools) is likely to get rejected.

That's why I'm so glad that CPack takes advantage of the INSTALL(...)
framework.  It wasn't too hard to convince him to let me put a bunch
of INSTALL( ... COMPONENT ...) calls in his CMake lists files, because
they really do nothing than assign his files to various groups.  And
that's not a problem for him, because the set of installation packages
(.rpm, .deb., etc.) and the files contained in each package is pretty
much an os-independent detail.

But even getting him to accept that change was a bit of a stretch.
Putting INCLUDE(UseRPMTools) into his CMake lists files almost
certainly won't fly.  His standards for purity are somewhat more
stringent than I would choose in this situation.

But anyway, the net effect is that I need to do as much outside of his
source tree as possible, including any invocations of
INCLUDE(UseRPMTools).

- Christian