[CMake] Thoughts on Cross-compiling with CMake

Bernhard Sputh bernhard.sputh at gmail.com
Sun Apr 29 13:41:54 EDT 2007

Trevor,

thank You for the patches You attached.

On Sunday 29 April 2007 18:00, Trevor Kellaway wrote:
> I was trying not to modify CMake source, given it nicely uses scripts
> that are easy to change, and more accessible to most people.

Yes, and I think You are right with this approach.

> Patches attached, against 2.4p6 release, but patches created against my
> Subversion base copy of CMake (sorry):

Should not be a major problem, I will read them and then maybe modify / extend
them to work with the specific setup I'm having here.

> Note that GenericBuildPrologue.cmake does some nasty non-standard things
> to CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE (via GENERIC_BUILD_TYPE), setting the style of build
> based on the output directory name, this is because our existing build
> system which I'm porting does this. This is *not* the correct CMake way
> of doing things.

OK, that is good to know for when I try to port the current hack to compile
XMK (Xilinx Microkernel) code into proper CMake code.

> Nope, mainly because I don't know how to. This project seems unlike
> others that actively publish bleeding edge builds, all I've found is the
> main CVS tree (I use Subversion) and this forum, I assume the developers
> hang out here?

I too think that the developers are actively reading this list, maybe they can
utilise Your patches for the next version.

> CMake is very good once you start to get the hang of it, but it can be
> an uphill struggle with the lack of documentation at times, which could
> well put people off.

I agree, but the GNU autotools, are not easy to use either, and I found them
even harder to use.

Cheers
Bernhard