[CMake] How to make executable depend on pre-existing control file?

Brandon J. Van Every bvanevery at gmail.com
Thu Apr 12 13:33:49 EDT 2007

Trevor Kellaway wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm try to get my link to depend on a pre-existing file that contains
> linker segment information "link.prm".
>
> I thought that by just adding this to the executable dependency list
> this should work:
>
>         ADD_EXECUTABLE (${THIS_APP} ${THIS_SRC}
> ${CMAKE_SOURCE_DIR}/link.prm)
>
> Alas, it seems to have no effect. The generated "build.make" contains
> no dependency references for "link.prm".
>
> Is this the correct way of doing this?

ADD_EXECUTABLE isn't taking a dependency list.  It's taking a list of
source files used to build.  If link.prm has no relevance to the build,
I'll wager that it is discarded.  I bet you'll need:

ADD_EXECUTABLE (${THIS_APP} ${THIS_SRC})
ADD_CUSTOM_TARGET(link_prm DEPENDS ${CMAKE_SOURCE_DIR}/link.prm)
ADD_DEPENDENCIES(${THIS_APP} link_prm)

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every