[CMake] cmake does not set execute bit on shared libraries

Alan W. Irwin irwin at beluga.phys.uvic.ca
Fri Apr 6 21:03:03 EDT 2007

On 2007-04-07 00:13+0200 Hendrik Sattler wrote:

> Am Freitag 06 April 2007 19:32 schrieb Alan W. Irwin:
>> but for now the result is that Debian packagers have to remove the execute
>
> Debhelper(dh_fixperms) usually takes care of this.
>
>> bit for libraries installed with autotools while Fedora packagers have to
>> add the execute bit for libraries installed with CMake.  I am sure it is
>> annoying to have to remember these fixups for varying policy, but I am also
>> sure it is not a difficult fixup in either case.
>
> Given how RPM is "developed", requiring shared objects to be executable is
> just dumb....

Even though I prefer the Debian (and CMake) execute bit policy for shared
objects, this is not earth-shatteringly important stuff.  Furthermore, I
really dislike such blanket assertions as the last sentence I quoted above.
In my view such statements rarely convince anybody, rarely lead to anything
positive, usually serve just to irritate people who may think the opposite,
and even irritate people like me that would normally be on the same side of
the argument.

To return to the fundamental point of my post, Fedora and Debian packagers
have to transform from the different autotools and CMake policies on this
issue to the policy appropriate for their packaging system.  That is all!

Alan
Alan W. Irwin

package (plplot.org); the Yorick front-end to PLplot (yplot.sf.net); the
Loads of Linux Links project (loll.sf.net); and the Linux Brochure Project
(lbproject.sf.net).