[CMake] Finding libs/headers on MSYS/MinGW

Kai Sterker kai.sterker at gmail.com
Mon Sep 25 15:20:16 EDT 2006

Hi,

I'm facing some troubles using cmake on a Windows environment with
MSYS and MinGW. It's doing it's job on Linux and I'm getting close on
OSX, but on Windows it is not even able to find the required libraries
and associated header files, all compiled within MSYS and neatly
installed to /usr/local.

>From browsing the cmake sources, I figured that this appears to be my
problem. A CMake compiled from MSYS (as opposed to cygwin) seems to be
a native Windows App with limited knowledge of stuff like /usr/local.
So when I run it from a MSYS shell, it happily translates environment
variables like CXXFLAGS=-I/usr/local/include to
CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS:STRING='-ID:/Programme/msys/local/include ', but it
fails to do the same magic for the search paths in the various
find*.cmake scripts.

So my question is, would it be possible to include this functionality?
If cmake runs from MSYS and encounters a path like /usr/lib or
/usr/local/include, could it translate this to something like
$MSYS_PATH/lib or $MSYS_PATH/local/include? Appearently it's doing
that with the environment variables, so it would only be consistent if
it did the same for all these unixish search paths.

Any thoughts on this?

Kai