[CMake] The input line is too long (MinGW)

Martin Dobias wonder.sk at gmail.com
Fri Sep 22 22:12:52 EDT 2006

On 9/22/06, Brad King <brad.king at kitware.com> wrote:

> >> What version of CMake are you using?  This has been fixed in CVS CMake
> >> and will be fixed in 2.4.4 but I don't remember if the fix is already in
> >> 2.4.3.
> >>
> >> -Brad
> >
> > I'm using 2.4.3. However latest CVS version still doesn't work and the
> > error is still there.
>
> I'll assume you're using the MSYS Makefiles generator.  Please let me
> know if this is not the case.

No, I'm using MinGW Makefiles generator. Now I've tried alse MSYS
Makefiles generator and linking works correctly with both 2.4.3 and
CVS version.

What's the difference between MinGW and MSYS generators? Only
difference I'm aware of is that MSYS generator uses sh.exe for running
make commands. Are there any pros and cons?

What generator should I prefer for building?

That error with MinGW makefiles is simply a limitation or could be fixed?

> > Moreover I've found some more problems in CVS version:
> [snip]
> > - CMakeSetup from CSV has been crashing when clicked Configure...
>
> Please try to strip your project down to a minimal example that
> reproduces the crash and post it here.

Actually CMakeSetup from CVS crashes for me even with so trivial
CMakeLists.txt like:

PROJECT (hello)
MESSAGE (STATUS "hello world")

CMakeSetup 2.4.3 configures this without problems.

Martin