[CMake] Duplicated messages and check for g++

Alan W. Irwin irwin at beluga.phys.uvic.ca
Wed Sep 13 00:59:15 EDT 2006

On 2006-09-13 11:33+0700 Slava Semushin wrote:

>    Hello!
>
>    When I run cmake I see following messages:
>
>    tetaneg% cmake .
>    -- Check for working C compiler: gcc
>    -- Check for working C compiler: gcc -- works
>    -- Check size of void*
>    -- Check size of void* - done
>    -- Check for working CXX compiler: c++
>    -- Check for working CXX compiler: c++ -- works
>    [skip]
>
>    I have 2 questions:
>
>    - Why for each check was printed 2 similar messages?

That is the CMake style; at the start of a test it tells what it is going to
do (e.g., "Check for working C compiler: gcc"), and at the end of the test
it gives the same message followed by the positive result (e.g., "-- works")
or the negative result (e.g., "-- broken") depending on the result of the
test.  See CMakeTestCCompiler.cmake for how this style is implemented for
the first question above. Actually, I think it is an excellent style.

Your second question about turning off the automatic C++ test for C-only
projects, I will leave to others more knowledgable than me.

Alan
Alan W. Irwin

package (plplot.org); the Yorick front-end to PLplot (yplot.sf.net); the
Loads of Linux Links project (loll.sf.net); and the Linux Brochure Project
(lbproject.sf.net).