[CMake] Fortran 9x dependencies

Alan W. Irwin irwin at beluga.phys.uvic.ca
Mon Sep 11 15:15:32 EDT 2006

On 2006-09-11 14:19-0400 William A. Hoffman wrote:

> At 02:09 PM 9/11/2006, Warren Turkal wrote:
>> http://www.helsinki.fi/~eedelman/makedepf90.html
>
> That is the code cmake is already using.....
>

> Module:    $RCSfile: cmDependsFortranParser.y,v $
> /*-------------------------------------------------------------------------
>  Portions of this source have been derived from makefdep90 version 2.6.2,
>
>   Copyright (C) 2000,2001 Erik Edelmann <eedelman at beam.helsinki.fi>.
>
>  The code was originally distributed under the GPL but permission
>  from the copyright holder has been obtained to distribute this
>  derived work under the CMake license.
>

> Apparently it does not work....

Quoting from the above website:

"The include file search algorithm is broken. I may fix it some day. Perhaps."

"The parser is a mess."

"...the current parser is a fragile, unmaintainable mess of workarounds"

Self-descriptions like that are a concern.  OTOH, that author's personal
style may just be self-deprecatory.  Furthermore, he seems to be fixing bugs
at a fairly high rate so some of the current CMake fortran troubles might be
sorted out by simply getting permission to use the latest version of this
code.  Anyhow, trying the latest version of makedepf90 is worth a shot
before you abandon it altogether.

Alan
Alan W. Irwin

package (plplot.org); the Yorick front-end to PLplot (yplot.sf.net); the
Loads of Linux Links project (loll.sf.net); and the Linux Brochure Project
(lbproject.sf.net).