[CMake] CMake and portable dynamic library loading?

Alan W. Irwin irwin at beluga.phys.uvic.ca
Tue Oct 17 13:46:06 EDT 2006

On 2006-10-17 08:40+0200 Alexander Neundorf wrote:

Later, Alan wrote:
>> Hi Alex:
>>
>> The PLplot windows developers are beginning to try libltdl now but they
>> have
>> run into an issue which is it is available on Cygwin but doesn't seem to
>> be
>> widely available in binary form on bare windows platforms.  The obvious
>> solution is to build it internally. When KDE used this library was that
>> the
>> option chosen? If so, could you point me to the CMake files used to build
>> libltdl? That would save our project some time since I assume there are
>> lots
>> of platform-dependent linking issues (since libltdl is simply a wrapper
>> with
>> uniform API for whatever platform library is used to do dynamic loading).
>

> Get trunk/KDE/kdelibs/ from some time ago, e.g. june.
> Then have a look at kdelibs/kdecore/CMakeLists.txt, I think it is (was) compiled into libkdecore. There are a bunch of configure checks in kdelibs/ConfigureChecks.cmake.

I am now looking at revision 543373 (late May this year) in
http://websvn.kde.org/trunk/KDE/kdelibs/kdecore/ and it appears I am getting
close to what I need with ltdl_win.c, ltdl.c and other details of how KDE
built a modified libltdl back then.  I also note the 15 configure checks in
kdelibs/ConfigureChecks.cmake that are annotated with #libltdl.  That
self-documentation is a big help.

Thanks, Alex, (here and in a further post) and Christian (in another post
about the role of ltdl_win.c on bare windows) for your help in pointing me
in the right direction.  It's going to take a while to understand and pull
out the pieces we need from the historical KDE repository and reassemble
something that serves the PLplot project's needs.  I will report back here
if/when we have a result that dynamically loads our plug-in modules
correctly on the platforms that we currently test (Linux, Mac OS X, Cygwin,
MinGW/MSYS, and bare windows).

Alan
Alan W. Irwin

package (plplot.org); the Yorick front-end to PLplot (yplot.sf.net); the
Loads of Linux Links project (loll.sf.net); and the Linux Brochure Project
(lbproject.sf.net).