[CMake] Suggestion for CMake platform/compiler detection

Brandon J. Van Every bvanevery at gmail.com
Thu Nov 23 12:35:37 EST 2006

Tanguy Krotoff wrote:
> Brandon J. Van Every wrote:
>> Sure.  But OpenWengo isn't a patch.  I'm sure everyone will be very
>> happy if you submit *small* patches, bug reports, and feature
>> requests in the bug tracker for *CMake*.  Nobody wants the entireity
>> of CMake to be rewritten in a higher level style.  They want
>> incremental improvements of general value to the CMake community.
>
> Yep but this is the problem...
> it cannot be made of small patches, how can you integrate a kind of
> inheritance system with small patches to CMake? It changes the API...

Then you are not really working on CMake, and that was my point.

> So for now the best is I work on it on my own and when ready publish
> on its own repository with a good documentation and try to convince
> people that it is a better approach.

You'd be better off isolating something about your design that's
actually patchable into CMake.  It's going to be a long time before you
have the support community and growth curve of CMake.  There are a lot
of competing build systems out there, and CMake is gaining momentum as
more people contribute to it.  KDE in particular is the project that
everyone is watching.

Nobody's trying to stop you from contributing to CMake.  But you need to
*contribute* to CMake.  Not just say, "I don't like it and I want to
change it all."

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every