[CMake] Suggestion for CMake platform/compiler detection

Luigi Calori l.calori at cineca.it
Thu Nov 23 09:01:43 EST 2006

Tanguy Krotoff wrote:

> Brandon J. Van Every wrote:
>
>> Sure.  But OpenWengo isn't a patch.  I'm sure everyone will be very
>> happy if you submit *small* patches, bug reports, and feature
>> requests in the bug tracker for *CMake*.  Nobody wants the entireity
>> of CMake to be rewritten in a higher level style.  They want
>> incremental improvements of general value to the CMake community.
>

> Yep but this is the problem...
> it cannot be made of small patches, how can you integrate a kind of
> inheritance system with small patches to CMake? It changes the API...
>
> So for now the best is I work on it on my own and when ready publish
> on its own repository with a good documentation and try to convince
> people that it is a better approach.

I would also be interested into your higher level macro approach,
expecially if it can reduce the problem of finding / building dependencies:
I 'm working to assemble a cmake based build system for OpenSceneGraph
and have already used macros.
I' ve seen you have macros to grab entire svn projects, I see you grab
them at CMake time, I did a similar think for CVS but at Make time.
Are your macro intermixable with standard CMake files?
Is there a "standard or official" place where to find contributed macros
/ Find / build scripts?

Thanks in advance