[CMake] relative paths for visual studio generators?

Sylvain Benner benner at virtools.com
Fri Nov 17 04:41:44 EST 2006

I'm far from a CMake expert, so maybe this answer is not optimal.

To support relative path for dependencies I have patched the method:

cmGlobalVisualStudio71Generator::WriteProject

Here is the modified version (sorry I don't know how to do a patch file, fortunately it is a small method):

void

cmGlobalVisualStudio71Generator::WriteProject(std::ostream& fout,

                                              const char* dspname,

                                              const char* dir,

                                              cmTarget& t)

{

    std::string d;

    if(cmSystemTools::FileIsFullPath(dir))

    {

        d = cmSystemTools::RelativePath(this->GetLocalGenerator(0)->GetMakefile()->GetStartOutputDirectory(), dir);

        if(d.empty())

        {

            d = ".";

        }

    }

    else

    {

        d = dir;

    }

    cmSystemTools::ReplaceString(d, "/", "\\");

    fout << "Project(\"{8BC9CEB8-8B4A-11D0-8D11-00A0C91BC942}\") = \""

         << dspname << "\", \""

         << d << "\\" << dspname << ".vcproj\", \"{"

         << this->GetGUID(dspname) << "}\"\n";

    fout << "\tProjectSection(ProjectDependencies) = postProject\n";

    this->WriteProjectDepends(fout, dspname, dir, t);

    fout << "\tEndProjectSection\n";

    fout <<"EndProject\n";

}

For the files I think it is not a problem. First, you should separate your vcproj and your source files. With the patch above you can move easily the vcproj folder tree and it will always work.

If you still want to change the location of your source files, you just have to check out your vcproj files, launch CMake, and check in the projects with a meaningfull comment like: "changed location of sources files from ... to ..."

Sylvain