[CMake] What is the status of CMake on DJGPP?

Alexander Neundorf a.neundorf-work at gmx.net
Thu Nov 16 17:23:17 EST 2006

Hi,

Von: Bill Hoffman <bill.hoffman at kitware.com>

> Alan W. Irwin wrote:
> > On 2006-11-16 08:42-0500 Bill Hoffman wrote:
> >
> >> Why would you need to build CMake with DJGPP?  Can you not use the
> >> windows binaries for cmake
> >> to run the DJGPP compiler?   For example, CMake can not be built by
> >> watcom, but it can be used to build
> >> projects that use the watcom compiler.
> >
> > I am completely unfamiliar with windows/DOS issues so this is pure
> > speculation on my part, but the PLplot DJGPP developer may have been
> > concerned that a windows binary might not work on DOS (the OS which is
> > used by DJGPP).  For example, I assume a minimum requirement is that the
> > windows executable is linked statically. Is that the case with the
> > windows
> > binaries distributed with CMake?  Are there any other ways that windows
> > executables are tied to the windows OS that would be a showstopper on
> > DOS?
> >
> > Anyhow, his first move was to try the bootstrap method, and it
> > obviously did
> > not work.  I originally asked our DJGPP developer to give cmake a try
> > because it would be good to get all our platform builds working under
> > CMake,
> > but he is inexperienced with CMake and needs convincing on that issue.
> > Thus,
> > if you are pretty sure that the windows binary for cmake should execute
> > without any OS incompatibilities on DJGPP/DOS, please let me know.  Such
> > reassurances should help motivate him to try some additional cmake
> > experiments.
> I really have never used DJGPP as well....   Maybe you can toss the
> question back to the DJGPP developers.
> Can you build a DOS executable with the MS compiler,

I'm not sure, but I think you can't.
So actually I think a cmake for DOS should also be built under DOS. And actually this can't be that hard with DJGPP. I "used" it like 10 years ago for a few weeks, when I started to learn C and switched from DOS to Linux. At this time it felt very unDOSish, so probably quite UNIXish.
Maybe it's even still on my old AMD K6 box...
And it really doesn't support long filenames ? Doesn't FreeDOS support them ? I think good old Novell DOS 7 already supported them.
And why does it actually crash in the log you sent ?

Bye
Alex