[CMake] Problem with library prefix/suffix when cross compiling.

Eric Noulard eric.noulard at gmail.com
Thu Nov 16 11:46:48 EST 2006

I am really interested in getting sample CMakeLists.txt
since I just wanted to do what you've done, i.e. cross-compiling
for win32 under linux.

You should know that CMake does not currently support cross-compiling.
See
http://www.cmake.org/pipermail/cmake/2006-September/010959.html
or
http://www.cmake.org/pipermail/cmake/2006-September/010946.html

For your "problem" I think you may try this in your
project CMakeLists.txt

IF (UNIX)
    IF (CROSS_MINGW32)
        SET(MY_TARGETLIB_PREFIX "")
        SET(MY_TARGETLIB_SUFFIX ".dll")
    ELSE (CROSS_MINGW32)
        SET(MY_TARGETLIB_PREFIX "lib")
        SET(MY_TARGETLIB_SUFFIX ".so")
    ENDIF (CROSS_MINGW32)
ENDIF (UNIX)

I assume
OPTION(CROSS_MINGW32  "Cross compile Win32 using mingw32" OFF)

was set ON for mingw32 cross compiling
and OFF for Linux "native" compiling.

Then use your MY_TARGETLIB_xxx
in all other places:
SET_TARGET_PROPERTIES(ex1
   PROPERTIES
   PREFIX $(MY_TARGETLIB_PREFIX)
   SUFFIX $(MY_TARGETLIB_SUFFIX)
                                            )

2006/11/16, Peter Visser <pervulgo at gmail.com>:
>  Hi,
>
>  I have a working build under win32 with MSYS/MINGW, now I would like to
> cross-compile code for win32 with mingw from linux with by using the same
> CMakelists.txt files. It almost works, the problem is that the shared
> libraries are not named "myex.dll" but "libmyex.so". By using the following
> command for all the libraries it can be solved:
>
>  SET_TARGET_PROPERTIES(ex1
>
> PROPERTIES PREFIX ""
>                                                    SUFFIX
> ".dll"
>                                                   )
>
>  However, now I have to change the CMakelist.txt in all the subdirectories
> and lose the ability to compile natively for linux (without adding an
> IF(UNIX) around the SET_TARGET_PROPERTIES).
>
>  Is there a global option to set the PREFIX and SUFFIX, set the BUILD_TARGET
> to win32 or something alike?
>
>  I tried setting:
>
>  SET(UNIX FALSE)
>  SET(MINGW TRUE)