[CMake] What is the status of CMake on DJGPP?

Alan W. Irwin irwin at beluga.phys.uvic.ca
Thu Nov 16 11:16:23 EST 2006

On 2006-11-16 08:42-0500 Bill Hoffman wrote:

> Why would you need to build CMake with DJGPP?  Can you not use the windows
> binaries for cmake
> to run the DJGPP compiler?   For example, CMake can not be built by watcom,
> but it can be used to build
> projects that use the watcom compiler.

I am completely unfamiliar with windows/DOS issues so this is pure
speculation on my part, but the PLplot DJGPP developer may have been
concerned that a windows binary might not work on DOS (the OS which is
used by DJGPP).  For example, I assume a minimum requirement is that the
windows executable is linked statically. Is that the case with the windows
binaries distributed with CMake?  Are there any other ways that windows
executables are tied to the windows OS that would be a showstopper on DOS?

Anyhow, his first move was to try the bootstrap method, and it obviously did
not work.  I originally asked our DJGPP developer to give cmake a try
because it would be good to get all our platform builds working under CMake,
but he is inexperienced with CMake and needs convincing on that issue. Thus,
if you are pretty sure that the windows binary for cmake should execute
without any OS incompatibilities on DJGPP/DOS, please let me know.  Such
reassurances should help motivate him to try some additional cmake
experiments.

Alan
Alan W. Irwin

package (plplot.org); the Yorick front-end to PLplot (yplot.sf.net); the
Loads of Linux Links project (loll.sf.net); and the Linux Brochure Project
(lbproject.sf.net).