[CMake] Re: 'make dist' like target

Enrico Scholz enrico.scholz at informatik.tu-chemnitz.de
Mon Nov 13 16:22:13 EST 2006

"Alan W. Irwin"
<irwin at beluga.phys.uvic.ca> writes:

> We have used CPACK_SOURCE_IGNORE_FILES to ignore all backup (*~)
> files, all CVS directories, and some directories that are specific to
> our project.  These regex's (not file globs) are a powerful means of
> deciding exactly what you want to go into your source tarball from
> the source tree.

Mmmh... sounds like a maintenance nightmare to update this ignore list;
it will probably result into looking manually into each tarball whether
there are really only the wanted files.

I like automake's way much more where I can specify exactly what I want
and can test for completeness with 'make distcheck'.

> We have a relatively simple list of excludes above since we always use
> a separate build tree and thus always have a relatively clean source
> tree.  Because of that separate build tree, we also have to establish
> a custom target to (a) generate the pre-built files we want to go into
> the tarball (e.g., built documentation) and (b) copy those files from
> the build tree to the source tree.

Copying into source tree seems to violate the build-seperately rule of
cmake.

Enrico