[CMake] Does cmake work with clearmake ?

Alan W. Irwin irwin at beluga.phys.uvic.ca
Mon Nov 13 14:44:38 EST 2006

On 2006-11-13 10:06-0800 Nags Venkat (nags) wrote:

> [...] Since we have
>
> existing infrastructure in clearmake for windows, just wanting to know
>
> if cmake can be used with clearmake ?

Note, CMake does not do any builds.  Instead it configures files which in
turn are used for building.  Thus, on Linux, CMake generates Makefiles which
are easily processed by the GNU variant of make which is the standard make
used on that platform.

I am not familiar with clearmake, but I did look it up and it seems to be a
proprietary form of make that is available for both Linux and windows and
which claims to work on Makefiles that are compatible with the GNU variant.
So to that extent it appears it should work on Linux, but it is probably a
case of "try it and see" with some simple "hello-world" test project first
on a Linux platform. I assume if that simple test works with clearmake you
could try the same simple test on windows, but I am not sure whether the
GNU-compatible Makefile generator back-end for cmake is available in that
case. (I have heard there is an nmake-compatible generator backend for cmake
available for windows, but I don't know whether clearmake could process that
form of Makefile.)

Note, CMake generates its own version of Makefiles so your existing
Makefiles that are currently processed by clearmake will be completely
ignored/superseded.

Alan
Alan W. Irwin

package (plplot.org); the Yorick front-end to PLplot (yplot.sf.net); the
Loads of Linux Links project (loll.sf.net); and the Linux Brochure Project
(lbproject.sf.net).