[CMake] What about...

Alexander Neundorf a.neundorf-work at gmx.net
Mon May 29 02:42:40 EDT 2006

> Von: Thomas Zander <zander at kde.org>
>
> On Friday 26 May 2006 17:55, you wrote:
> > >A 'configure' script generator that will just convert between the
> > > (good old) configure and the cmake foo.  Makes it actually possible
> > > to discover what features there are without consulting online
> > > documentation ;)
> >
> > I am not sure about what you want here.
> > Do you want something that will convert a configure script into cmake
> > files? Do you want to convert cmake files into a configure script?
> >  What is the goal with this question?
>
> I have helped a set of people on irc to get started with koffice compiling
> using cmake. They all had a lot of problems with the arcane variables
> like the CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX and most people find that D in front a bit
> weird a well.
>
> So; instead of letting the user (not only a developer!!) type
>  cmake ../../project -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=$KDEDIR
> there would be a command line tool (which I want to call configure, I
> don't care if its shell script or perl or whatever) and that tool would
> parse:
> 	./configure --prefix=foo
> and execute the cmake equivalent that I typed above.
>
> Again; this is all focussed on making cmake more usable for the KDE
> community; but I guess a lot of cmake users will benefit from it as well.
> You have to remember that there are a lot of end users downloading the
> sources and I can't in all honesty tell them its something better if they
> have to type the above cmake PREFIX thing instead of using the configure
> thing we had before.

There is ccmake on UNIX and (the more powerful) cmakesetup on Windows for this job. What is missing is something like a "qcmake", which would add a nice GUI to all available options.

Bye
Alex

--

Bis zu 70% Ihrer Onlinekosten sparen: GMX SmartSurfer!
      Kostenlos downloaden: http://www.gmx.net/de/go/smartsurfer