[CMake] What about...

Axel Roebel Axel.Roebel at ircam.fr
Fri May 26 17:03:00 EDT 2006

On Friday 26 May 2006 21:48, cmake-request at cmake.org wrote:
> I think it's a very good idea to add "cmake --prefix=foo" because 1
> gazillion ./configure users would get warm squishy feelings from such
> functionality.  Although, it could become an Uncanny Valley problem.
> The closer you get to representing ./configure, the more complaints
> about how it's not ./configure!  So it may not be as good an idea as one
> would think.  It might be better to train people to use CMakeSetup and
> CCMake.  But that I admit is a GUI vs. command line battle.  Maybe it's
> advisable to beef up CMake's command line usability, if only for
> marketing purposes.

I think
configure --prefix=
has become so standardized and is triggering reflexes, that it would be a good
idea to make use of these customs

As well I am personally rather accustomed to the command line
so I would prefere a better command line support.

So  instead of
> $ ./cconfigure --help
> --cmake_build_type       Choose the type of build, options are: ...
> --cmake_install_prefix   Install path prefix, prepended onto install
>
>                          directories
> --cmake_verbose_makefile If this value is on, makefiles will be
>                          generated ...

and given that

>option(USE_FOOBAR "use the foobar package" FALSE)
>if(USE_FOOBAR)
>   option(USE_FOOBAR_SUBTASK "use the foobar subtask option" FALSE)
>endif(USE_FOOBAR)

and
>set(MYPROJECT_INSTALL_PREFIX /myinstall/location CACHE PATH)
>set(CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX ${MYPROJECT_INSTALL_PREFIX} CACHE INTERNAL)

how about

cmake --help
"cmake variables"
 --build_type       Choose the type of build, options are: ...
 --install_prefix   Install path prefix, prepended onto install  directories
 --verbose_make If this value is on, makefiles will be

project options
--USE_FOOBAR "use the foobar package"  (FALSE)

project variables
MYPROJECT_INSTALL_PREFIX /myinstall/location

If cmake is run and the options did change it could
return with error and display a warning:

cmake --prefix=/myopt --USE_FOOBAR=1
... snip
warning: configuration options changed
see new choices with cmake --help

Which means the help should take into account the current
settings.

--
Axel Roebel
IRCAM Analysis/Synthesis Team