[CMake] file depending on a target

Brandon J. Van Every bvanevery at gmail.com
Mon May 15 17:54:20 EDT 2006

William A. Hoffman wrote:
> At 05:38 PM 5/15/2006, Brandon J. Van Every wrote:
>
>> So I was right, ADD_FILE_DEPENDENCIES does *not* play properly with DEPENDS in ADD_CUSTOM_COMMAND.  Bug or feature?
>>

> All ADD_FILE_DEPENDENCIES does is set OBJECT_DEPENDS on the source.  So, it will
> not cause a custom command to run.  It will cause a .o file to be compiled.
> It is a different thing than the DEPENDS of a custom command.   Which will add a depend
> to the custom command, and will re-run the custom command if that depend changes.
> OBJECT_DEPENDS currently only affects the building of an object file.

I hereby make a feature request, that all dependency mechanisms work
uniformly.  :-)  Motive: it is easier to write macros when dependencies
can be handled independently (ha ha, very funny that) and don't have to
be passed around as arguments to MACROS wrapping ADD_CUSTOM_COMMAND.
This improves automation and readability.

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every