[CMake] Odd CMake/KWWidgets behaviour

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Fri Mar 24 13:52:01 EST 2006

dean.inglis at camris.ca wrote:
> using latest CMake cvs.
> Cmake stops after notification of the VTK_DIR cache entry
> as it should but there is NO CMakeCache.txt file in
> the build dir!
>
> -- Check for working C compiler: bcc32
> -- Check for working C compiler: bcc32 -- works
> -- Check size of void*
> -- Check size of void* - done
> -- Check for working CXX compiler: bcc32
> -- Check for working CXX compiler: bcc32 -- works
> -- Configuring done
> VTK not found.  Set the VTK_DIR cmake cache entry
> to the directory containing VTKConfig.cmake
[snip]
> This does NOT occur with CMake 2.0.6 and 2.2.3.
> My workaround is to just add a CMakeCache.txt with one
> cache entry for VTK_DIR.

After many problems with bogus try-compile results being stuck in cache
files after a FATAL_ERROR we decided that when such an error occurs the
cache should not be written to disk.  If you use ccmake or CMakeSetup
the option causing the fatal error (such as VTK_DIR not set) would be
presented in the GUI to be set.  When running from the command line the
option should be passed:

cmake ../KWWidgets -DVTK_DIR:PATH=/path/to/VTK-build

-Brad