[CMake] new RPATH support questions

Alexander Neundorf a.neundorf-work at gmx.net
Mon Mar 6 14:16:11 EST 2006

Hi,

I just updated from current cvs.

CMakeLists.txt:

add_library(foo SHARED foo.c)

add_executable(footest main.c)

target_link_libraries(footest foor)

install_targets(/bin footest)
install_targets(/lib foo)

This has the effect, that footest is initially linked with rpath to the
library in the build dir, and when installed it is linked again but
without RPATH. I thought it should be relinked to the install RPATH ?

Besides that, AFAIK previous cmake version didn't relink during
installation. Are you sure it is a good idea to change the default
behaviour ?

Does RPATH actually only exist for executables or also for shared
libraries ? Does it have to be set for both or is it enough if it is set
for the executables ?

For KDE I plan the following:

1) CMAKE_SKIP_RPATH and create wrapper shell scripts which set
LD_LIBRARY_PATH

2) COMPILE_WITH_INSTALL_RPATH and INSTALL_RPATH=
${CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX}/lib
(for building releases)

3) COMPILE_WITH_INSTALL_RPATH and INSTALL_RPATH= ${LIBRARY_OUTPUT_PATH;
${CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX}/lib
(for developers, so that it runs also from the builddir)

Do you think this is sensible ?

I think relinking is not a good option for KDE, since this will take
really a lot of time.

Bye
Alex

--
Bis zu 70% Ihrer Onlinekosten sparen: GMX SmartSurfer!
Kostenlos downloaden: http://www.gmx.net/de/go/smartsurfer