[CMake] Relation between .vcproj and .vcproj.cmake

William A. Hoffman billlist at nycap.rr.com
Fri Jun 23 10:37:54 EDT 2006

At 10:10 AM 6/23/2006, Steve Johns wrote:
>Hi.
>
>I'm wondering, could someone kindly explain the relationship between the .vcproj and .vcproj.cmake files (in the MSVC build environment)?
>
>I understand that the .vcproj is the actual project file as used by the MSVC IDE, but what is the purpose of the .vcproj.cmake file (which I notice is created, generally, with a later timestamp)?
>
>BTW, comparing these two files, they are the same in the directory I'm looking at.  Is this always the case?

It is used for copy if different.  Every time you run cmake it always creates a .vcproj.cmake file.
Only if that files is different than .vcproj does cmake write the .vcproj file.   The vcproj.cmake
files are also used as files to depend on, that can tell vs when to re-run cmake.
If you always re-wrote the .vcproj files it would cause a bunch of un-needed re-loads in
vs.

-Bill