[CMake] Linking and CMakelists.txt

Steve Johns steve.johns at verizon.net
Thu Jun 22 14:46:27 EDT 2006

Hi.

I have a project that links to an external library that I've build
successfully (in MSVC 7.1) using

LINK_LIBRARIES()    and    LINK_DIRECTORIES()

in my CMakelists.txt file.

When I delete one or both of these directives, the project still builds!   I
don't see how it can, without the info on how to find the library.

Then, if I futz around enough with it (imprecise term, I know), eventually
the project will cease to build.

Then, if I futz some more, restoring  LINK_LIBRARIES()    and
LINK_DIRECTORIES() it will build again (eventually).

I was under the impression that edits to the CMakelists.txt file were
detected by CMake, which would then "start over" and act in accord with the
current definitions (or lack of) in the CMakelists.txt file.

It is clear that my understanding requires correction or qualification, and
I'd be much obliged if anyone can surmise what's occurring here and clue me
in.

- Steve