[CMake] Compaq Fortran 6.1 detection fails under Windows

Philippe Poilbarbe Philippe.Poilbarbe at cls.fr
Tue Jun 20 08:34:07 EDT 2006

Brad King a écrit :
> Philippe Poilbarbe wrote:
>> Hello,

>> F90: error: Switch '-o' is ambiguous
>> The fortran compiler if Compaq Fortran 6.1 and it
>> CMake version: 2.4.2
>
> That compiler is not known to CMake.  You'll have to set the variable
> CMAKE_Fortran_COMPILE_OBJECT to teach CMake how to use the compiler.
> Look at the Modules/Platform/Windows-ifort.cmake file in the CMake
> installation for an example.
Thanks.

I have made a Windows-f90.cmake file which is read instead of the
default one.
But now it seems that file names are not correctly generated by TRY_COMPILE
in CMakeTestFortranCompiler.cmake.
I can't trap why since the generated files in CMakeFiles/CMakeTmp are
removed too quickly :)

Is there an option of CMake allowing to keep temporary files ?

With 'NMake Makefiles' generator (the one I normally use), the
error is:
====================
Determining if the Fortran compiler works failed with the following output:
    nmake -f CMakeFiles\cmTryCompileExec.dir/build.make /nologo
-L                  CMakeFiles\cmTryCompileExec.dir\build
Building Fortran object
CMakeFiles/cmTryCompileExec.dir/testFortranCompiler.obj
    C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\DF98\BIN\F90.EXE
@C:\DOCUME~1\Chef\LOCALS~1\Temp\nma00560.
F90: error: Unknown switch: '/cmTryCompileExec.dir'
NMAKE : fatal error U1077: 'C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\DF98\BIN\F90.EXE' :
return code '0x1'
Stop.
NMAKE : fatal error U1077: '"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual
Studio\VC98\BIN\nmake.exe"' : return code '0x2'
Stop.
====================

Is seems that path of file contains '/' instead of '\' (and compiler
doesn't like at all

With 'Visual Studio 6' generator, it works or not (but I don't know
why). When
an error occurs the message is:
====================
Determining if the Fortran compiler works failed with the following output:
--------------------Configuration: cmTryCompileExec - Win32
Debug--------------------
Building Fortran object testFortranCompiler.obj
C:develBRATCMakeFilesCMakeTmptestFortranCompiler.f
f90: Severe: No such file or directory
... file is 'C:develBRATCMakeFilesCMakeTmptestFortranCompiler.f'
Error executing c:\windows\system32\cmd.exe.

cmTryCompileExec.exe - 1 error(s), 0 warning(s)

It seems that no directory separator at all is generated... strange.

Note: I can send the Windows-f90.cmake file (I did not include it
because of it's size).