[CMake] newbie Q: SET command

kdsfinger at gmail.com kdsfinger at gmail.com
Sat Jun 17 11:25:45 EDT 2006

hi, all

I have the following line in a CMakeList.txt

SET(SimpleViewSrcs $(SimpleViewSrcs) SimpleView3.cxx)

What does $(SimpleViewSrcs) stands for? I used the
MESSAGE($(SimpleViewSrcs)) and prints out:
main.cxxSimpleView3.cxx

Can someone explain what main.cxxSimpleView3.cxx stands for? I checked
the cmake manual and see this:
#  SET: Set a CMAKE variable to a given value.

  SET(VAR [VALUE] [CACHE TYPE DOCSTRING [FORCE]])

Within CMake sets VAR to the value VALUE. VALUE is expanded before VAR
is set to it. If CACHE is present, then the VAR is put in the cache.
TYPE and DOCSTRING are required. TYPE is used by the CMake GUI to
choose a widget with which the user sets a value. The value for TYPE
may be one of

  FILEPATH = File chooser dialog.
  PATH     = Directory chooser dialog.
  STRING   = Arbitrary string.
  BOOL     = Boolean ON/OFF checkbox.
  INTERNAL = No GUI entry (used for persistent variables).

If TYPE is INTERNAL, then the VALUE is always written into the cache,
replacing any values existing in the cache. If it is not a cache
variable, then this always writes into the current makefile. The FORCE
option will overwrite the cache value removing any changes by the
user.

  SET(VAR VALUE1 ... VALUEN).

In this case VAR is set to a semicolon separated list of values.

VAR can be an environment variable such as:

  SET( ENV{PATH} /home/martink )

in which case the environment variable will be set.