[CMake] Re: Can we increase the status of VTK / Cmake OSX universal binary bugs bugid=2492 bugid=3059?

Dan White dan at chalkie.org.uk
Thu Jun 8 03:42:26 EDT 2006

On 7 Jun 2006, at 21:43, Sean McBride wrote:

> On 2006-06-07 13:35, Mike Jackson said:
>
>> The only problem I see with this setup is that you can not build a
>> Universal Binary that actually _runs_ on OS X 10.3.9. For that you
>> would need to set the SYSROOT to something else. Xcode handles
>> this in
>> an .xcconfig file. I think CMAKE is going to have to handle it the
>> same way.
>>   So, to summarize, if you want a Universal Binary that will run on
>> OS X 10.3.9 (PPC) through 10.4.6 (Intel), then the intel side
>> needs to
>> build against the 10.4u sdk and the PPC side needs to build against
>> the 10.3.9 sdk.
>
> I believe you are correct.  I seem to recall that this is was
> discussed
> in this bug, if you are interested:
>
> <http://www.vtk.org/Bug/bug.php?op=show&bugid=2492>

Dear All,

I dont know how many people are trying to make universal binaries of
VTK for their  software projects
and internal use, but I suspect that it is probably enough to
change this Cmake bug report to critical and high priority?
Presently it is listed as Medium and feature request.

Also maybe we could up the status of the VTK bug report bugid=3059.

Since presently VTK on OSX intel macs does not work properly,
and the universal build way is the sensible way to go forward?

Of course I am biased as an OSX developer, but these bugs are halting
development on a whole platform, OSX ppc and i386
since we should be making universal binaries in the majority of cases.
Any more votes in favour of that? Or just me ;-)

I am very willing to help in any way that I can,
quality dashboards, testing etc.
but I don't know how to code c++, sadly.

cheers

Dan

Dr. Daniel James White BSc. (Hons.) PhD
Bioimaging Coordinator
Nanoscience Centre and Department of Biological and Environmental
Sciences
Division of Molecular Recognition
Ambiotica C242
PO Box 35