[CMake] graceful INSTALL failure

Brandon J. Van Every bvanevery at gmail.com
Tue Jun 6 07:19:52 EDT 2006

This may seem like a nitpicky request, but I think there's an end-user
usability issue.  I would like INSTALL to fail gracefully if some part
of the build doesn't get generated.  Like, I have the option to do a
partial INSTALL if I so choose.  I don't want to predetermine whether
all of my installation dependencies will be fulfilled.  Currently, if
any installation component fails, it stops the whole installation in its
tracks.  Now under a Make system perhaps 'make -k' is sufficient to get
past this.  But on VC++ it just dies, and I couldn't tell you how to
keep going.

Users often haven't ensured that tools like MAKEINFO are properly
installed.  Now of course, I can conditionally generate my build
targets, tell them to install the tool, and tell them to re-run CMake.
But I'd rather just warn the user, specify a default name for the tool,
and hope they will install it so it's found on the PATH.  I'd like them
to forget about re-running CMake.  1 problem to deal with instead of 2.
It's more usable.  It's also more debuggable if the build file is
unconditionally generated.  I can see what the Makefile dependency logic
is and it won't change.

Another way of saying it, is I'm looking for something like a TRY_RUN
capability for custom build rules.  Although specifically, I really only
need a TRY_INSTALL.

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every