[CMake] split comments fail in VC++

Brandon J. Van Every bvanevery at gmail.com
Tue Jun 6 04:06:11 EDT 2006

Within an ADD_CUSTOM_COMMAND, If I split a COMMENT over multiple lines,
like so:

COMMENT
"Copying ${Chicken_SOURCE_DIR}/${filename}
  to ${CMAKE_CURRENT_BINARY_DIR}/${filename}"

it works fine with MinGW / MSYS generation and running 'make'.  But it
causes errors under Visual Studio .NET 2003 generation and running the
.sln file within Visual Studio.  Using \n also fails:

COMMENT
"Copying ${Chicken_SOURCE_DIR}/${filename} \n  to
${CMAKE_CURRENT_BINARY_DIR}/${filename}"

To get it to work I must forego my multiple lines and just write:

COMMENT
"Copying ${Chicken_SOURCE_DIR}/${filename} to
${CMAKE_CURRENT_BINARY_DIR}/${filename}"

Now, is this an expected difference between build environments, or is it
a bug?  Or are you surprised that 'make' handled it?

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every