[CMake] Re: a ./configure shell script stub (William A. Hoffman)

Axel Roebel Axel.Roebel at ircam.fr
Thu Jun 1 11:36:30 EDT 2006

On Wednesday 31 May 2006 01:44, William A. Hoffman wrote:
> Yes, that is what I am talking about.  I don't think it will be hard to
> implement, and I am sure any hard coded approach will be regretted a few
> months later.
>
> Also,
>
> cmake <dir> --help  (will print the help for the given project)

I understand that you don't like the hardcoded approach, still this is what made
the configure interface so standardizing that now we discuss it here. There were hardly any
configure scripts that would not provide some of the basic
flags (at least --prefix) and the --enable/--disable syntax for the options.

I understand as well that you want to make it as easy as possible and
it obviously the handling of the OPTION variables requires parsing the CMakeLists.txt and
the CMakeCache.txt, which would require some more effort than reading only the
command line shortcut option file. So I would suggest to make
the mapping

--prefix  -> -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX
--verbose -> -DCMAKE_VERBOSE_MAKEFILE
--build   -> -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE

the default mapping which can be changed only if the user supplies a local
configuration file which can only be used to
extend the shortcut list. The option syntax using --enable-toto...
is in fact a bit longer than -Dtoto= so we may live without it.
And for the help we may rely on ccmake or cmake -i

I think we have extensively discussed the issues and I will
create a feature request such that you will not forget these
suggestions.

Kind regards

--
Axel Roebel