[CMake] EXECUTE_PROCESS too good at running programs

William A. Hoffman billlist at nycap.rr.com
Sat Jul 22 08:54:37 EDT 2006

At 08:17 AM 7/22/2006, Brad King wrote:
>Brandon J. Van Every wrote:
>>Ok, the CMake 2.4.2 documentation for the projectName version of TRY_COMPILE is only 3 short sentences.  IIUYC, you are saying I'm going to have to write a CMakeLists.txt wrapper, and a subdirectory, for each and every tool like "makeinfo," if I want to prove that they work in the build.
>
>You can create a macro to wrap this all up.  The source tree for the TRY_COMPILE can be created with FILE(WRITE) and FILE(MAKE_DIRECTORY).

Regardless of the documentation, try-compile and not exec_process is what is supposed
to be used for system introspection.  The build time environment is often different
than the cmake time environment, and if you are testing programs that will be run
at build time, try-compile/try_run is the only way to do that.  I assume that you are
planning to run makeinfo at build time, so it should be tested at build time.  Remember
cmake is not a build tool, but rather a build generator, and is not running during
the build.

-Bill