[CMake] Re: FILE TO_NATIVE_PATH on Windows

Brandon J. Van Every bvanevery at gmail.com
Tue Jul 18 13:14:56 EDT 2006

Brandon J. Van Every wrote:
> William A. Hoffman wrote:
>> At 12:26 AM 7/17/2006, Brandon J. Van Every wrote:
>>

>>> Because last I tried, it was broken.  Precise definition of "broken" later.  I'm in the middle of a huge refactoring right now, driven by these pathing and quoting and escaped whitespace problems.
>>>
>> If it is broken, please let me know so it won't be broken in the next patch release
>> of CMake when it comes out.
>>

> Ok, FILE(TO_NATIVE_PATH ...) is "broken" on Windows in that it doesn't
> enclose the resultant path in double quotes.  This is a debateable
> aspect of design.  Quotes get in the way of merging paths, but they
> are also necessary to make a path usable.

Another issue is that under the MSYS generator, FILE(TO_NATIVE_PATH ...)
produces Unix-style paths with forward slashes.  This is reasonable if
an app is going to live totally inside MSYS, but apps compiled on MSYS
are typically meant for Windows native use.  MSYS is just an aid to
compilation, usually.

Also it escapes whitespace, which when configuring for a .h file, I do
not desire.

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every