[CMake] YARI (yet another RPATH idea)

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Fri Jul 7 10:28:01 EDT 2006

Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> it's me again, again with my favourite topic: RPATH.
> On the Mac there is the install name tool, and now I found a similar tool for ELF systems, chrpath.
> chrpath is able to:
> 1) remove the RPATH from a executable or library
> 2) change the RPATH to a RUNPATH
> 3) replace the RPATH with another RPATH, but the new one may not be longer than the existing one.
>
> With this nice tool the need for relinking can be avoided, but only if the already existing RPATH is long enough for the new RPATH.
> Maybe this could be supported somewhat similar to install_name_tool ?

Since the tool is not provided with the native build tools on ELF
systems (such as part of binutils) I'm hesitant to make it a first-class
CMake feature.  It looks like the tool could be used on a per-project
basis with an INSTALL(SCRIPT) to run the tool on an already-installed
binary just after installing it.

-Brad