Convenience libraries [was Re: [CMake] how to add capability to generate preprocessed and not-yet-compiled files ?]

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Fri Jul 7 10:23:46 EDT 2006

John Ellson wrote:
> Brad King wrote:
>> John Ellson wrote:
>>>
>>> Not sure that I'm following the converstation properly here, but
>>> can any of this be used to provide access to a set of .o for use as a
>>> "convenience library" ?
>>
>> No, these variables are used to specify rules for the generators to
>> put in the build files.
>
> Thanks, and sorry for the diversion.    So is there a FAQ that describes
> convenience libraries
> with cmake?   I've been making a newbie's attempt to use cmake for
> graphviz, but my
> inability to generate convenience libraries is a blocker for me at the
> the moment.

I've just added it to the FAQ:

http://www.cmake.org/Wiki/CMake_FAQ#Does_CMake_support_.22convenience.22_libraries.3F

Note that KDE used to use convenience libraries and is doing just fine
without them.  They were really a hack in auto* because those tools did
not support source files from a different directory when convenience
libraries were first created.

-Brad