[CMake] FIND_PACKAGE generator mismatch?

Amitha Perera perera at cs.rpi.edu
Mon Jul 3 11:10:30 EDT 2006

Folks,

In the VXL project, we use FIND_PACKAGE to allow internal code to use
the public VXL code. As currently set up, this causes a call to
CMAKE_IMPORT_BUILD_SETTINGS, which in turn checks that the internal
project uses the same generator, compiler, and compiler flags as the
external project.

In general, I don't see why they *have* to be the same. I understand
the issues with Windows and needing to make sure certain flags are
matched. However, I think CMake should not force such a
match. Similarly, I don't see how the choice of generator should
affect the build process.

Are we (VXL folks) using an outdated mechanism for build setting import?

Thanks,
Amitha.