[CMake] dependencies on auto-generated files and VC-8.0

Alex Makarenko alexei at cas.edu.au
Sat Jul 1 02:03:18 EDT 2006

Hello,

We are porting a fairly large C++ project from linux/gcc to win32/vc-80. We
are using cmake 2.4.2. Everything is ok except for dependencies between
targets and auto-generated files.

Before going into details I want to ask a general question about a paragraph
on p.16 of Mastering CMake book which says "CMake has built-in dependency
analysis capabilities for C and C++ source code files. Since IDE's support
and maintain dependency information, CMake skips this step for those build
systems."

Does it mean that CMake does not communicate any dependency information to
Visual Studio? If so, then there is no point in trying to relate the
dependency structure to CMake.

Thanks a lot,
Alex Makarenko