[CMake] CMake Completeness: The builder + installer.

Rodrigo Madera rodrigo.madera at gmail.com
Sun Jan 29 19:26:26 EST 2006

Hello to all. I was just looking at some photos of my ex-girlfriend
(yes, I am a programmer and I have (actually had) a girlfriend) and
that made me thoughtful at the same time it made me think of my other
friend, CMake.

You see, the way I use CMake today it requires a girlfriend:
BuildProject.py. It's a nice Python script that does some magic to
make CMake alive.

Right now, my script does this:

* When called with no arguments, it generates the project files and
then executes the build command, according to the platform in use.
* When passed the "install" parameter, it installs under
"C:\Libraries" in Windows or "/lib" if on Linux.
* When called with the "clean" parameter, it cleans all the
intermediary CMake-generated files (quite a few, aren't they?)

Since CMake has little documentation released on the net (or so it was
a few days {or months} ago) I only have the classic build-related
information. And the doubt that kills me is if I'm doing redundant use
here or incorrectly using CMake (I hate misusing features).

Does CMake have anything resembling this?

After all, what are those "INSTALL" projects it creates under MSVC?

Well, not that I want to spoil anything between CMake and his script
friend, but if there is an easier or more straightforward way, it
would be nice to know.

This has led us to almost start a project to interface CMake with, to
create post-build rules like creating media ISO images and getting the
product ready to ship in a one-liner.

Thanks for the attention everyone, for now I'll go back to see what I
have one day mistreated. Never again to be done.

Rodrigo