[CMake] CMAKE_CONFIGURATION_TYPES -- still in use? How to use?

Zachary Pincus zpincus at stanford.edu
Thu Jan 26 14:04:32 EST 2006

Let me recap to make sure I've got it:

*Configure time* operations (e.g. WRITE_FILE, say) must place
configuration-specific build files in every location specified by
CMAKE_CONFIGURATION_TYPES, because the build-time config is unknown,
or may change.

*Build time* operations must use the CMAKE_CFG_INTDIR variable to
select a file from the current build directory. This variable expands
to something like $(config) which is intelligible to the IDE running
the build.

*Install time* operations must use the BUILD_TYPE variable
(carefully, so it isn't expanded until install time) which contains
the proper build path. Since install is managed by cmake, and not
some IDE, the CMAKE_CFG_INTDIR variable isn't useful because "$
(config)" or similar is meaningless to cmake.

Is this all correct (if vaguely confusing)?

Zach